Saturday, November 3, 2007

Remembering the Parental Units on All Soul's Day


The kids nowadays call them parental units. To me, they are simply my Maming and Paping - parents in heaven.

All Soul's Day is one of the most important holidays in the Philippines. Filipinos flock to the cemeteries to remember the departed members of their families. Many even go as far as their hometowns where ancestors are buried.

Since my Maming's passing away in 2000, my family has started this tradition of going to the cemetery either before or after the official day of November 1st. This year we went on November 3rd. Despite it being the 3rd day of a 4 day-long holiday, there were still tons of people at the Manila Memorial Park.

I was so sure that my Maming and Paping were happy to see what's left of their Kamp in the Philippines. They would be also be proud that prayers were led by their 7 going 8 grandson Spade.

Paterno (+) and Erlinda Dimaano (+), you will always, always be remembered.

No comments: